2.27.2011

cloth diaper update


I am loving cloth diapers. I originally ordered three (2 bum genius 3.0's and 1 bum genius 4.0). I have since ordered 5 more 3.0's in smalls and 2 more 3.0's in mediums. I still need to order more 4.0's but I am waiting for some sort of sale. There are pros and cons of each but I am happy with having both options. First, the bum genius 3.0's are no longer being made so they are all cheaper. Plus, they come with an insert sewn in so there is no need for stuffing (if you have a child that isn't a huge wetter). There is a pocket so that stuffing is an option if needed. Also, 3.0's aren't one size fits all so I had to order smalls which fits babies 8-16 lbs and Mediums which go up to 22 lbs I believe. This means they will only last a short while until I would have to move her to the next size. This sizing "problem" really isn't a big deal to me because it means that they are trimmer diapers and aren't making her bum look enormous. The only real downside to the 3.0's that I see is it takes them FOREVER to dry. I hang them, then put them in the dryer on low for an hour, then continue to hang them until they are dry, which can take a full day! The 4.0's are one size fits all so you can use them from real little babies until almost potty trained. They have buttons that will change the size of the diaper as the baby gets older. That is a plus because you don't need to buy a lot of different sizes, yet the diaper on Eloise looks huge as of right now. But, they aren't stuffed already so they dry very fast. Here is my pro list of each diaper:

3.0 pros
-trimmer fit
-already stuffed
-cheaper

4.0 pros
-dry fast
-one size fits all
-can buy them anywhere

3.0 cons
-not making them anymore
-takes forever to dry
-have to buy different sizes

4.0 cons
-more expensive than 3.0
-a little bit bigger on smaller babies

Bum Genius obviously made the 4.0's to be better than the 3.0's and consider them an upgrade. I think I will really LOVE the 4.0's once Eloise is a bit bigger so that it fits her better. Here is a cute pic of her in her 4.0. I find this diaper a little on the bulky side.

Now, onto washing these wonderful diapers. There are so many different options but we follow the cold wash, hot wash, extra rinse routine. We use Planet Ultra HE detergent for both the cold wash and the hot wash. I choose extra rinse during the hot wash AND THEN I even rinse the hot wash again. A lot of people online say the diapers start smelling because they haven't rinsed the detergent out of them enough. So, a couple of extra rinses won't really hurt. I just wish I could get them to dry a little faster! We are still using disposables at night because she sleeps all night and I use diaper rash cream, which you can't use with a cloth diaper. I did buy some flushable liners which I might use with the cloth once I get it all under control.

I wonder how long it will take until I am fully in cloth diapers, or if I will even get there. Now, we don't do cloth wipes (yet). But I don't really see the need. I still have my diaper dekor, so I just throw the cloth diapers into the planet wise wet bag, and the wipes into the diaper dekor. But, who knows what I will want to do once I am a cloth diaper pro!

I am glad I decided to take the cloth diaper challenge (three cloth diapers a day!) I am excited I took this step rather than doing it all at once because it can be so intimidating. And look at what I can help accomplish:
100,000 parents committing to change 3 cloth diapers per day resulting in:
  • Thirty to fifty million pounds of prevented landfill waste.*
  • One hundred million disposable diapers not purchased.*
  • A combined savings of over $24M in the next year.**
  • Increased public and media awareness about the environmental and economical benefits of cloth diapering.


No comments:

Post a Comment