2.23.2011

Naps

Eloise has currently been fighting her naps. She will only nap for longer than 20 minutes in her swing. But, if you don't get her in her swing BEFORE she gets tired she will scream cry until she falls asleep. It's been a battle, but we are working on it. Anyway, I wanted to find out how many naps and for how long children should be taking and I found this great article in "Parenting" magazine about naps. Here is the breakdown:

2-6 months old: 3 naps for a total of 5 hours
6-8 months old: 2 or 3 naps for a total of 3 1/2 hours
8-12 months old: 2 naps for a total of 3 hours
12-18 months old: 2 naps for a total of 2 1/2 hours
18 months - 3years: 1 nap for a total of 2 hours
3 -4 years old: 1 nap for a total of 90 minutes
4-5 years old: 1 optional afternoon nap for a total of 45 minutes (quiet time if they aren't napping)

I am happy I found this because I like to have some sort of breakdown and idea of what naps SHOULD be like. But, I find myself worrying if Eloise has slept more or less than the recommended time. I have to remember that when I follow her rhythm, things seem to work out OK. She seems to know what she needs and has no problem telling me ALL about it :)

No comments:

Post a Comment