2.14.2011

cloth diapered bums

I have started the adventure of cloth diapering. When I first got pregnant, I did a lot of research into cloth diapering and came to the conclusion that it was just too much for me right then, but it was important to do it eventually. I wanted to learn how to take care of a newborn and use disposable diapers before I got into adding a whole other responsibility of cloth diapers. But, now that I am a seasoned mama (ha!) I've decided now is the time. I am slowly going to start adding cloth diapers to our routine. Eloise is now 2 1/2 months old and I think it is the perfect time! Not only are cloth diapers the environmentally responsible choice:

*Disposables are the third most common product in landfills
*A disposable diaper may take up to 500 years to decompose
*One baby that uses all disposables will contribute to 1 ton of waste in your local landfill

But they are also economically responsible. Let's say one can spend $800 on cloth diapered accessories (which is a huge amount, and probably no one who cloth diapers spends that much), it is still less then how much you will spend if you use disposables. Plus, if you are planning on having more than one child, you just reuse your diapers and you will save TONS of money.

And on a side note: I have heard cloth diapered babies are potty trained faster!

What I will eventually need:
12-15 cloth diapers
Flushable liners for when Eloise is eating solids (6 months old)
A wet bag for the diaper bag
A new Diaper pail for the cloth diapers
Cloth Diaper detergent
Oxi Clean
A drying Rack

How to Wash Cloth Diapers:

* Wash the entire load on cold with detergent. It is important to wash it on cold to remove the yuckiness from the diapers
*Wash the entire load again on warm or hot with detergent
*Do a second rinse
*Tumble dry on medium

Tips I have found about cloth diapers:

*Try OxiClean for stains that won't go away
*Use flushable liners such as "Imse Vimse Flushable Diaper Liners" for when Eloise is eating solids because you can't stick regular poop into the washing machine.
*To get rid of stains, lay the diapers to dry in the sun
*At night stuff Bum Genius diapers with Bum Genius one size inserts




No comments:

Post a Comment