3.09.2011

update on Maggie Moo

So, I know this may sound a little crazy, but we have decided to keep the Moopers. I really needed to get how I felt about the two dogs off my chest, and since then, things have gotten better. My uncle offered to take Maggie, and it would have been a perfect fit. He is slightly crazy and out of control and so is she. He also has had chocolate labs, so he knows what that entails. But, he wasn't able to take her right away, and I got used to the idea of keeping her. Julian had some serious pep talks with her, and it must have worked. The issue was never that she was a bad dog, I just don't have the connection with her that I do with Duke. So what? Lots of people have dogs that are just dogs (my in laws for example). Dogs are meant to be pets not children. I guess I had higher expectations considering I feel like Duke is my son. But, Maggie is our dog and we love her. She is part of this family, and you don't just go and give away members of your family. She may have seizures and loves chasing balls more than what is considered 'normal', but she is OUR dog. She loves us and she deserves for me to give it a good chance. I had a bad couple of weak moments where I cared that my couch was getting ruined, my floor boards are chewed, and she peed in the house. Guess what? Giving Maggie away wouldn't change any of that. Duke still has a couple nights where I find turds on the floor (dammit duke). My couch wouldn't be restored to its beauty (that is what slipcovers are for) and the floor board needs to be replaced no matter what. I go through phases where I want my house to be perfect, but that just isn't me. Our house is lived and loved in, and my dogs are a part of that. So what if it smells like lab... WE HAVE LABS DUH! So what if it there is enough dog hair on the floor to stuff a pillow...VACUUM YOU LAZY WOMAN. We have dogs and we have kids (well one kid so far). Life gets messy and that is how you know the house is being lived and loved in. Julian even put a gate on our deck so that if the mountain goat fighting starts, I can immediately nip it in the bud by putting them outside. They are smart dogs and I love them. I am so sorry I talked about giving you away, Mags. Usually one is Catholic to give something up for lent. I am not Catholic and I am not giving anything up for lent. But what I am doing is making a major effort to take time each day to Thank God for my dogs and give them some love. I have been a little preoccupied with an amazing baby that I forgot to focus on my doggies. So for 40 days and 40 nights I will try to pet and and cuddle with the dogs at least once a day. The dog lover in me knows that this is my family and I can't give up on them. Welcome back you silly doggie. Mommy loves you <3

1 comment:

  1. Awww Maggie gets to stay! I love the reference to your "slightly crazy" uncle. I can totally guess who that is :)

    ReplyDelete